Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Still Gardening, Mixed with Pottery

I may not be blogging much about my garden lately, especially since I started my pottery blog, but I am still gardening (except now while there is snow on the ground).  And adding pottery to my garden.  And using plants from my garden as inspiration and impressions in my pottery.


I have two ceramic totems in my garden, and quite a number of pieces waiting for me to create another totem this summer.  These two serve dual purpose of decorating the garden, and protecting my dear Davidii involucrata (dove tree) when I drag the hose around the garden :


This little face planter rests in a shady spot in my garden :


This lantern was originally planned for the garden, but after so many hours creating it, and a number of people warning me not to take a chance leaving it out in my garden, I still have it inside the kitchen.  But I am still considering finding it a place in the garden one day.  At least for a party.


I have made a number of ceramic vessels and plates decorated with leaf imprints.  I love the textures.  This one is decorated in maple leaves :


This soda fired jug was also decorated in maple leaves.


These oakleaf hydrangea leaves were not from my garden, but made a beautiful platter.


This piece was decorated with leaves from my garden, and eventually will go back out into the garden, as part of a future totem :


I made two large ceramic masks - "tree men" - who adorn the inside of the post on my back deck.  I wish I had photos to share, but am too lazy to download/email them from my phone to my computer.  But here is one of the masks.

I still love gardening.  And I am very much enjoying pottery.  And where both pottery and gardening collide, it is about as close to heaven as I'll enjoy in this life.

2 comments:

Tim said...

The Tree Men are amazing. I'm impressed how the face looks completely different when looked at from below (the right lower photo).

Shady Gardener said...

What fun you are having!!! I love your artistic/gardening duality!! Happy Spring!! SG

Blog Widget by LinkWithin